Check out this video tutorial to see how to use the BD Genie Safety Lancet blood sampler device.
BD Genie Lancets are high quality, safety-engineered, single-use capillary blood sampling devices. They offer a permanently retractable blade or needle feature that minimizes the possibility of injury or reuse. BD offers a full range of blade depth and needle gauges for sufficient blood volume in multiple sample requirements. All Genie's can be used in conjunction with BD Microtainer Tubes.
• After cleaning the puncture site, PULL OFF indicator as directed on tab and place in disposal. If you are using a "needle lancet," you will need to TWIST OFF indicator as directed on tab and place in disposal
• Position safety lancet firmly against puncture site as illustrated. Hold lancet between fingers and place thumb on white activation button
• To activate, press white activation button firmly into colored housing with thumb. Button will lock into housing and will not recoil. Do not pull lancet away from puncture site until after activation
• Gently massage from base of finger to near the puncture site, holding hand below elbow level to obtain the required blood volume
Things to Remember:
• Handle all biologic samples and blood collection sharps (lancets, needles, luer adapters and blood collection sets) according to the policies and procedures of your facility
• Obtain appropriate medical attention in the event of any exposure to biologic samples (for example, through a puncture injury) since they may transmit viral hepatitis, HIV (AIDS) or other infectious diseases
• Utilize any built-in needle protector if the blood collection device provides one
• BD does not recommend reshielding used needles, but the policies and procedures of your facility may differ and must always be followed
• Discard BD Genie Lancet in the nearest sharps collector. Follow your institution's policy for safe disposal of all medical waste
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.