How to Use the BD Genie Safety Lancet blood sampler device
Check out this video tutorial to see how to use the BD Genie Safety Lancet blood sampler device.
BD Genie Lancets are high quality, safety-engineered, single-use capillary blood sampling devices. They offer a permanently retractable blade or needle feature that minimizes the possibility of injury or reuse. BD offers a full range of blade depth and needle gauges for sufficient blood volume in multiple sample requirements. All Genie's can be used in conjunction with BD Microtainer Tubes.
• After cleaning the puncture site, PULL OFF indicator as directed on tab and place in disposal. If you are using a "needle lancet," you will need to TWIST OFF indicator as directed on tab and place in disposal
• Position safety lancet firmly against puncture site as illustrated. Hold lancet between fingers and place thumb on white activation button
• To activate, press white activation button firmly into colored housing with thumb. Button will lock into housing and will not recoil. Do not pull lancet away from puncture site until after activation
• Gently massage from base of finger to near the puncture site, holding hand below elbow level to obtain the required blood volume
Things to Remember:
• Handle all biologic samples and blood collection sharps (lancets, needles, luer adapters and blood collection sets) according to the policies and procedures of your facility
• Obtain appropriate medical attention in the event of any exposure to biologic samples (for example, through a puncture injury) since they may transmit viral hepatitis, HIV (AIDS) or other infectious diseases
• Utilize any built-in needle protector if the blood collection device provides one
• BD does not recommend reshielding used needles, but the policies and procedures of your facility may differ and must always be followed
• Discard BD Genie Lancet in the nearest sharps collector. Follow your institution's policy for safe disposal of all medical waste