IV's are used on patients to either administer fluids or medicines, and for a nurse, it's the number one task performed on the job in a hospital. Knowing the proper procedure for peripheral intravenous catheter insertion is a must. This interactive video module will help familiarize you with the medical procedure, but is not meant to be your sole method of instruction— always ask for supervision in performing a procedure if you've never done one before, or have little experience.
* IV catheter
* Alcohol Wipe
* Op-site dressing
* Hep-lock adapter
* 5cc syringe filled with saline
* IV fluid bag and tubing
* Rubber gloves
Intravenous catheters come in different sizes, but generally a 20-gauge or 22-gauge will work. The IV consists of a catheter and a needle inside it, which enables puncture of the vein. This is how access to the vein is achieved, and once access is retrieve, the needle is removed and disposed. After, a saline flush may be required.
Then you will go through preparing the intravenous solution, identifying potential veins (antecubital vein, cephalic vein, and the bifurcation of veins), applying the tourniquet, the actual catheter insertion, attaching the IV tubing to the adapter, and some troubleshooting skills.
Video recording and narration is performed by Edward H. Wu, M.D. This video is from the University of Pittsburgh's CIDDE.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades