Eve Bargmann, M.D., will teach doctors in this video how to perform an examination of the patient's heart and blood vessels. As with any examination, you should start out with inspection. Start off with the jugular venous pulse, then examine the heart by palpation and auscultation with bell and diaphragm of the stethoscope, and lastly examine the blood vessels.
For a full lesson on cardiac examination, go to University of Virginia's School of Medicine Interactive Learning Module. The best way to prepare yourself for your small group exercises is to first watch the cardiac exam video from beginning to end, then proceed through all the explanations of cardiac anatomy and physiology that are in the lesson. By the end of this session, you will be able to:
1. Recognize the elements and significance of the jugular venous pulse.
2. Know the physiology and sound of S1 and S2.
3. Know the physiology and sound of S3 and S4.
4. Identify systole and diastole by palpation and listening.
5. Describe heart murmurs.
6. Hear and understand the mechanism of three common systolic murmurs.
Examination of the heart includes:
• Inspection: of jugular venous pulse and point of maximal impulse.
• Palpation: of point of maximum impulse, and precordium for lifts, heaves and thrills.
• Auscultation: for valve closing sounds (S1 and S2), extra sounds (S3 and S4), murmurs, clicks and rubs.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades