This step-by-step video will show the proper technique of phlebotomy, which means drawing a sample of venous blood. Everyday, nurses take blood cultures from hospitalized patients, so standard tests can be run for diagnosing conditions and diseases. Venipuncture is necessary for obtaining the blood sample.
These are great instructions for nursing students, for preparation into life in hospital care. The most frequent sites for sampling blood are the larger and fuller median cubital and cephalic veins of the arm. The wrist and hand veins are also acceptable.
The equipment you will need is: protective eyewear, protective gloves, the necessary blood collection tubes (blood culture tubes), tourniquet, provodine-iodine solution, an alcohol swab, a piece of 2x2 sterile gauze, a Vacutainer needle (#20), a Vacutainer syringe, and a piece of tape to secure the gauze.
This video on the phlebotomy procedure was produced as part of the Common Currency project at the Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine. There might be slight variation of the procedure from institution to institution depending on policy and equipment used.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades